News | Details
With over 35 retailers and 200 people working at St John’s Shopping Centre it’s inevitable that we will have some news stories to tell.
12 September 2011
Community groups in Perthshire are being reminded that the closing date for the third and final round of Community Chest applications is fast approaching on 30th September.
Earlier this year St John’s Shopping Centre announced a move to open up its coffers to worthy local community projects. Entitled “Community Chest”, the shopping centre set aside £5,000 for requests from the local community during 2011 which they hope will help local groups and projects.
Seven community groups in Perthshire are already been in receipt of a Community Chest Award, granted during the first and second round of applications, with a total of £3295 awarded across those groups as follows:
• Burrelton & Woodside Senior Club (138 votes): £300 award for new games tables
• SLS Baton Twirlers (94 votes): £500 award for new batons
• 73rd West Carse Scout Group (81 votes): £720 award for a patrol tent, flysheet and separators.
• Perth Phoenix Basketball Club (105 votes): £500 award for new strips and tracksuits
• PKAVS (88 votes): £500 for branded running vests for fundraisers
• Moncrieffe Bowling Club (74 votes): £250 for bowling green maintenance equipment
• Perth High School PE department (50 votes): £525 for team hoodies and rainjackets
However there is still £1705 left in the Community Chest, and local causes are being encouraged to visit the shopping centre’s website, download an application form and return it before Round Three closes on 30th September.
Community Chest, which launched in February, has been designed to be accessible and offer small funding opportunities for those local community groups and projects who may find lottery grant systems too time onerous or who may be looking for smaller amounts of money to make their projects come to life.
Siobhan McConnell, St John’s Shopping Centre manager, commented “We want to encourage community groups of all shapes and sizes to enter for a Community Chest Award. It’s great publicity for your club and there’s the added bonus that you could get those much needed funds for your project too.”
“Already St John’s Shopping Centre has made a real and tangible difference to four local groups who have succeeded in winning funding for uniforms, sport strips and some much needed equipment.” She concluded.
Requests must be between the value of £100 and £750. The deadline for submission for Round 3applications is 30th September 2011.
Application forms can be downloaded from: www.stjshopping.co.uk/communitychest